The Guadalajara International Film Festival (FICG33) in collaboration with Berlinale Talents of Berlin International Film Festival and Goethe-Institut México, and the support of the International Federation celebrate ten years of presenting Talents Guadalajara and opens its call for entries.
Talents Guadalajara invites:
from Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean to apply for the annual summit and networking platform, to be held from March 9th to 14th, 2018.
Talents Guadalajara is an intensive experience where the next generation of filmmakers, actors and film critics of the region share their ideas and develop their own projects guided by renowned experts from all over the world.
WHO IS ELEGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
Talents Guadalajara is open to actors, animation directors, cinematographers, directors, editors, film critics, producers, screenwriters and sound designers. Applicants must also have credits as head of department in at least two short films or a feature film, which has been selected by any international film festival.
Talents Guadalajara opens its call for entries only to citizen from Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean (Colombia and Venezuela not included). Applicants from South America are invited to apply to Talents Buenos Aires, which covers this region.
To participate in Talents Guadalajara there is no age restriction, what is important is your talent proved by uploading all the information to your profile created online.
Only PRODUCERS and DIRECTORS who already took part in previous editions of Talents Guadalajara may apply again with an ongoing project for Talent Coproduction Meeting (see information below and check the application criteria to see if your project is in the right stage), as well as ANIMATION DIRECTORS who want to participate in Talent Motion Studio and have not been selected in this activity before.
The entire registration process is online. To participate is indispensable to speak Spanish and it is advisable to have fluent English, as some of the conferences will be held in this language.
HOW CAN I APPLY TO TALENTS GUADALAJARA?
To attend Talents Guadalajara for the Summit, Studios or Labs it is necessary to create an electronic profile (search the link here www.ficg.mx) by fill out the registration form where you will have to describe your personal information, information about your experience in the cinematographic field and upload a 3 minutes sample that has to show your experience and, above all, your creative potential (sample does not apply for film critics).
The screenwriters and film critics must also upload texts, in pdf format.
WHAT DOES THE ACTIVITIES PROGAMME INVOLVE?
Talents Guadalajara presents in six days an intensive program of activities like: Master Classes, Dialogues, Special Screenings, Meet the Experts, Labs and Studios specialized in each called event.
The detailed activities program as well as the participating experts are going to be published two weeks before Talents Guadalajara starts.
TALENT PRESS GUADALAJARA
An advance course in film criticism
Talent Press Guadalajara is an intensive training in film criticism presented by Talents Guadalajara / FICG with the support of the International Federation of Film Critics FIPRESCI. Selected by a board of experts, the participants are invited to attend the festival and review the films, under the tutelage of renowned film critics, with whom they can share their points of view about the films and receive feedback of the written material.
The participants will have a daily task to write a review on a feature film screened at the festival, which will be discussed among their colleagues and experts and, once approved by the mentors, will be published on the FICG, Talents Guadalajara, Berlinale Talent Press and FIPRESCI.
TALENT COPRODUCTION MEETING
Presenting your project to the industry. Pitching Lab.
Talents Guadalajara, in collaboration with the Festival Industry section: Co-production Meeting, opens its call to participate in Talent Coproduction Meeting, a professional pitching experience where 6 feature film projects (documentary or fiction) will participate at an intensive pitching workshop with exclusive training to each project, which will be part of the program of activities of Talents Guadalajara, and then presented to international film industry professionals who are attending the FICG. Three of these projects will be also included in the catalog and activities of the Co-production Meeting FICG33. This practical pitching experience offers the participants the possibility to find funds, producers and co-producers, buyers, and international sales agents for their films.
TCM is open to PRODUCERS and DIRECTORS who have a feature film project in development (documentary or fiction) ready to be presented to possible co-producers (project in Spanish and English: producer and director attached (bio-filmography of each), short and long synopsis, budget, financing plan, stage project description and letter of intent of the director). In addition, the project should have audiovisual material to show: teaser, trailer or scenes; or a sample with previous works of the director. All projects received must have not yet been filmed, have a finished script and at least 20% of financing in place.
To participate is indispensable to speak English, as most of the meetings will be arrange with international co-producers.
If you meet the requirements, you should first complete your profile as indicated in the general call to participate in Talents Guadalajara. Once complete, you will be asked to complete some information regarding your project and upload it in .pdf format. The selection committee, integrated by producers and directors, will choose the 6 most interesting and solid projects, based on the thematic and feasibility for an international co-production.
TALENT MOTION STUDIO.
Direct consultancies from great directors of international animation
Guadalajara has been internationally recognized as a city where filmmakers produce short and feature animation films in different techniques, with high quality and creative skills. For this reason, Talents Guadalajara keeps presenting our special section dedicated to animation genre and its creators: Talent Motion Studio, in which directors who work in this genre are invited to participate, and received a personalized consulting program for their upcoming animation projects, as well as other activities of their interest, such as a Master Class with an internationally recognized animators and Dialogues related with topics of their interest. If you are a director who works mostly the animation genre and want to participate, you just have to fill out the general Talents Guadalajara, indicating that you will participate as Director of Animation.
Talents Guadalajara also presents seven specialized studios, focused in the different fields of work, which since 2016 aim to incite the interaction between its participants and mentors:
DIRECTING & CAMERA STUDIO
EDITING & SOUND STUDIO
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Citizens of Mexico, Central America and the Caribbeanare able to participate, who are professionally dedicated to filmmaking in any of the following fields: Acting (with experience in films or audiovisual productions), cinematography, direction, direction of animation, editing, film criticism (journalists or writers specialized in cinema), production, sound designing (musicians and sound artists who work in the creation of the sonorous concept for a film), and / or screenwriting.
- Residence Documents or second citizenship from Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean are also allowed, only in case they presented the right documentation to prove it in the selection process. Filmmakers from other countries who have been studied in the Film School of San Antonio de los Baños EICTV (Cuba) with a maximum term of 5 years of having been finished their studies are also welcome to participate. This is possible due an agreement between the EICTV and the FICG.
- All the registration is online through our website: where it is necessary to create your electronic profile, generated by completing and attaching the required documentation described below, and where you will have to choose the professional field of work you are focused on:
- Registration form. It should be answered completely, without omitting any requested information and specifying your field of work: Acting, cinematography, direction, direction of animation, editing, film criticism, production, sound designing or screenwriting.
- Your Biography that briefly explains your path in the field, your professional development, the style that describes your work and your specific interest in filmmaking.
- For ACTORS, ANIMATION DIRECTORS, CINEMATOGRAPHERS, SOUND DESIGNERS, EDITORS, PRODUCERS AND SCREENWRITERS: SAMPLE of maximum 3 minutes long which endorses and supports your previous experience. This sample can be a short film, fragment or scenes of several works in which you have participated directly as head of the department, preferably in the direction field. IMPORTANT: Music videos will not be taken into consideration neither showreels with vertiginous editions of several different works with superimposed music over the images that makes it difficult to value your talent. The demo should be an example of your talent and ability to seek, create or tell stories through your field of work
- SCREENWRITERS must upload to their profile - in addition to the sample explained in C1- an excerpt of a script of their authorship, whether short or feature film, which endorses their talent as storyteller. Maximum 3 pages in pdf format, plus an extra as cover with the basic information of the script and the synopsis.
- Those interested in FILM CRITICISM should not upload the sample or the script to their profile. However, they must include 3 files in .pdf format of film critics, reviews or articles they have written that have been published in a printed format and, in addition, 3 links to websites with published work of their authorship (personal blogs of the applicant are also admitted).
D. A headshot photo that we will use for your accreditation and the catalog: format .jpg 300dpi.
E. Text explaining the reasons why your participation in Talents Guadalajara could be useful for your work and path.
- Incomplete applications or those that have closed their profile once the registration deadline is over, will be canceled.
- Applications that deceive us about their nationality will be discarded.
- The registration is only individual, not as a team.
- It is a requirement and responsibility of the applicants to have their passport, visa and all the necessary documents to enter Mexico.
- Applications from alumni of previous editions of Talents Guadalajara will not be accepted, with the exception of:
- To participate is indispensable to speak Spanish and it is advisable to have fluent English, as some of the conferences will be held in this language.
- The registration to Talents Guadalajara is free.
- PRODUCERS or DIRECTORS who apply to Talent Coproduction Meeting.
- ANIMATION DIRECTORS, who, due to the recent launch of the Talents Motion Studio, will be able to apply again in order to participate in this program, as long as they have not been already selected for this activity.
HOW IS THE SELECTION CARRIED OUT?
50 candidates will be selected to participate in the Talents Guadalajara. The choice of participants will be decided by a special Selection Committee made by a group of specialists in the field -which names will be announced once the results have been published. The Committee will evaluate the quality, creativity and narrative proposal of the sample, as well as the experience of the applicants. In addition, the Committee will try to select, as far as possible, a group of varied and even nationalities. Talents Guadalajara has a limited quota, reasons why the rejection to participate, do not determine the absence of quality in the submitted application.
SAVE THE DATES!
Talents Guadalajara call for entries opens on Monday, September 4th and closes on Sunday, October 29th, 2017. The results will be announced on Wednesday, January 17th, 2018, via email to all the applicants and through the publication on the FICG and Talents Guadalajara website. The selected applicants must confirm their attendance before January 26th, 2018, otherwise, their participation will be canceled.
The festival will provide the selected applicants free registration and accreditation, as well as accommodation, breakfast and lunch during the days of Talents Guadalajara. Likewise, relevant steps will be taken to support, as far as possible, the flight of those who don’t have the economic possibility to afford it; however, full support for transportation cannot be guaranteed.
In case of being selected, Talents Guadalajara will support with information and advices for visas to enter Mexico, only during the days of TG and FICG. The applicants must personally carry out the corresponding procedures in their countries. FICG and Talents will not cover in any case the expenses that this process generates.